This came over the Twitter transom at FSG this morning: if you were planning a road trip across the U.S., intent on hitting places of literary significance, where would you go?
- Thoreau’s cabin on Walden pond
- Entering San Francisco by I-5 from the north, tracing Kerouac’s route in On The Road. This lead to his great passage describing the city, from this vantage point, as revealing itself like Ahab’s white whale.
- The Texas/Mexico border, as written about so beautifully by Cormac McCarthy and Roberto Bolaño
- Hemingway house in Key West, Florida
- Downtown Portland (Oregon) pool halls, so evocatively described in Don Carpenter’s Hard Rain Falling.
- Rural Wyoming, so often the setting for Annie Proulx’s fiction.